What you can do to help
There are many actions you can do to help us to end this cruel trade:
- Don' t buy fur - products containing fur are often mis-labelled with some even labelled as faux fur, so the safest way is to avoid it altogether.
- Sign our HSI Fur Free Supporter Pledge which states that you will not to buy or wear real fur and believe that the fur trade is unjustified and has to stop - click here.
- Share information with friends and colleagues to raise awareness. Explain that each small piece of fur trim represents an animal that suffered and died inhumanely.
HELP WITH OUR FUR FREE RETAILER CAMPAIGN:
- Fur Free Retailers: If you know of any retailers missing from our list who don' t sell fur, please let us know by clicking here or give them a copy of our HSI Fur Free Retailer Pledge (206.5 kB) and ask them to sign and return it to us. Alternatively, contact their head office yourself to ask to for a copy of their fur policy in writing. Your actions will not only help complete our Fur Free Retailer list, but also help us raise awareness of the cruel trade.
- If you receive replies from retailers pledging to be fur free, it is always nice to thank them for supporting this campaign.
- Stores selling fur: If you come across a store selling real fur you could ask for their Head Office address and write to them, explaining your concerns. Alternatively, we have drafted a letter for you to use here - just add the store details, the date, and your name at the bottom, and post it to them or take it to the store. Let them know that you will not shop there if they continue to sell fur. If you receive a response please send us a copy.
PHONE OR WRITE LETTERS:
- Write letters or opinion editorials for your local paper to raise awareness and asking for a fur free future.
- Write to Fashion Press asking them to stop promoting and advertising fur in their magazines. We have provided an example letter below to help you.
- Contact Australian Customs to show your support for tighter controls on the importation of cat or dog fur into Australia. Their website can be found at www.customs.gov.au. Phone the Customs Information & Support Centre on 1300 363 263, or send a letter to:
Jim Stewart, National Manager,
Trade Policy and Regulation Branch, Australian Customs and Border Protection Service,
5 Constitution Avenue, Canberra ACT 2601.
- Write to or send an email to the Australian Government using the contact information below:
- Hon Malcolm Turnbull, Prime Minister, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600. By Email: click here
- Hon Michael Keenan MP, Minister for Justice, PO Box 6022, House of Representatives, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600. By Email: email@example.com
- Hon Greg Hunt MP, Minister for Health, PO Box 6022, House of Representatives, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600. By Email: click here
In your correspondence you may wish to include the following points:
- Ask that they direct Customs to properly enforce the law banning cat and dog fur imports into Australia.
- Ask Government to enact legislation to ensure 'truth in labelling' , making it mandatory to identify the species and country of origin for all fur products.
- Suggest they make retailers aware there is evidence of illegal and hazardous dog fur products on sale in Australia.
- Write to the Embassies of Thailand, the Philippines and China expressing your concern for the killing of cats and dogs in their countries. Example letters are provided below.
- Embassy of the People' s Republic of China, 15 Coronation Drive, Yarralumla, ACT 2600. (02) 6273 4780. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Royal Thai Consulate General, Level 8, 131 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
- Philippine Consulate General, Level 1, 27-33 Wentworth Avenue, Sydney, NSW 2000
- Write to your local MP (C/- Parliament House) in your state urging that they do all they can to stop the sale of real furs.
- Write to your Federal MP (C/- Parliament House, Canberra 2600) urging them to enforce the ban of dog and cat fur.
- Contact your local radio station and ask to be invited as a guest on the local talk or community service show. Urge listeners to support a fur free society.
Here are some example letters you may like to use:
Example Letter to Fashion Editor:
Example Letter to the Embassy of the People' s Republic of China:
Example Letter to the Royal Thai Consulate General:
Example Letter to the Philippine Consulate General: